B.A. Modern Languages (French and German) (BA converted into an MA in 1977), Christ Church, Oxford 1971-1974
England and Wales (1977)
- Member of Arbitration Chambers (2016 – present)
- Principal, BeecheyArbitration Ltd, based in Hong Kong, offering services as an arbitrator, appointing authority, expert witness and arbitration consultant (April 2016 – present)
- President of the ICC International Court of Arbitration (January 2009 – June 2015): In the course of his term of office as President of the Court, John Beechey oversaw the introduction of the 2012 ICC Arbitration and Mediation Rules and new Rules for Experts. He was primarily responsible for the Court's move to new premises in Paris and he proposed and implemented the establishment of the new Governing Body, which has responsibility for long-term strategic planning for the Court. His term of office saw the opening of the Court's operations in New York, the inception of the Jerusalem Arbitration Centre and many changes both to the practices of the Court, the principal purpose of which was to improve the efficiency of the Court and the quality of the service that it offered to its users, and to the relationship between the Court and the ICC National Committees.
- Partner in Clifford-Turner (subsequently, Clifford Chance LLP) (May 1983 – December 2008). Founding partner of the Clifford Chance international arbitration practice and one of the first Solicitors to undertake the role of advocate before international arbitration tribunals.
- Solicitor, Clifford-Turner (1977 – 1983)
John Beechey CBE is among the best-known arbitrators in the world. He has served as chairman, party-appointed arbitrator, or sole arbitrator on international arbitral tribunals in both 'ad hoc' (including UNCITRAL) and institutional arbitrations under the Rules of all major arbitral institutions including, inter alia, the EDF, ICC, ICDR/AAA, ICSID, LCIA, PCA, SIAC and Stockholm Chamber. John has served, or is currently serving, as an arbitrator on the panels for 20 investor-state disputes, seven of which are pending.
John is a past President of the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC (2009-2015). His term of office at the ICC is regarded as one which brought about significant reform to, and the reinvigoration of, the ICC Court. He had previously served on the Executive Committee of the Board of the AAA in New York and as a Vice-President and member of the Board of the LCIA. He is the current Chairman of the Board of the BVI International Arbitration Centre. In March 2018, John was elected to serve a four year term on the Governing Board of the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA). Before his retirement from private practice in the City of London, he was the founding partner and Head of the highly-regarded International Arbitration Group of Clifford-Turner (subsequently, Clifford Chance LLP) (1983-2008). In June 2016, John was appointed CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List for services to international arbitration.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Appointed member of the Council of the Mumbai Centre of International Arbitration (April 2016)
- Appointed member of the Council of ACICA (March 2016)
- Appointed Chairman of the Board, BVI International Arbitration Centre (October 2015)
- Appointed Chairman of the ICC (UK) Arbitration Committee and Member of the Governing Body of ICC (UK) (September 2015)
- Member of the Investment Advisory Panel, Woodsford Litigation Funding (2014 – present)
- President of the International Arbitration Club (2002 – 2008)
- Member IBA Working Group on Guidelines on Impartiality, Independence and Disclosure in International Commercial Arbitration (2004)
- Vice President of the LCIA Court (May 2002-May 2007)
- Member of the Board of the American Arbitration Association (member of the Board’s Executive Committee, 2001-2008)
- Re-appointed as a UK representative to the ICC Commission on Arbitration and Mediation (2000 – September 2008)
- Member of the IBA Working Group responsible for drafting the First Edition of The IBA Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Commercial Arbitration (1999)
- Member of the ICC Institute of World Business Law (October 1998 – present)
- Member of the Board of the LCIA (1996 – December 2008)
- Member of the UK Delegation to the ICC Commission and member of the ICC UK’s Arbitration Group under the Chairmanship of Lord Steyn (1993 – 2008)