- University of Nottingham, 1993-1997: LLB (Law with European Law), including a year spent at Georg-August Universität Göttingen, Germany, First Class Honours (including JC Smith Prize for Evidence, Law Graduates’ Association Prize (for best graduating student), and Sweet and Maxwell Prize, 1997)
- Nottingham Law School, 1997-1998: Legal Practice Course, distinction
- Kings College University, London, 2003: post-graduate certificate in Sports Law
- Legal Profession Admission Board, NSW, 2009: Real Estate Law and Australian Constitutional Law (LexisNexis prize awarded for Constitutional Law)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Australia), 2011: Fastrack to Fellowship
- England and Wales (2000)
- New South Wales and the High Court of Australia (2010)
Arbitration Chambers – Chambers Director
November 2020 to present
LCIA – Registrar
October 2012 to October 2020
Baker & McKenzie, Sydney – Special Counsel
January 2009 to September 2012
Baker & McKenzie, London – Senior Associate from September 2005
September 1998 to June 2008
While at the LCIA, Sarah was involved in the administration of many hundreds of arbitrations from a broad variety of industry sectors and jurisdictions.
In private practice, Sarah's representative clients, cases and matters included the following:
- Advising an Australian company in relation to an ICC arbitration (with its seat in India) commenced by a foreign state-owned company, in which claims in excess of US$160 million were brought against the Australian client.
- Acting for an Australian company in an HKIAC arbitration (with its seat in Hong Kong) brought by a Chinese company in respect of an alleged breach of contract. Assisting the client to negotiate an amicable settlement.
- Representing an investment company in LCIA arbitration proceedings arising out of the sale of an interest in an Eastern European mobile telecoms company, which involved claims worth in excess of €500 million. Assisting the client to reach a favourable settlement of the dispute.
- Acting for a Formula 1 race team in several high-profile proceedings before the sport’s international governing body.
- Representing a Czech bank in a CZK 40 billion LCIA arbitration (with its seat in London) commenced by a second bank and arising out of the sale of its business to our client. Advising the client on procedure and tactics in these proceedings and on the interplay between this arbitration and plethora of other foreign court proceedings and arbitrations in existence between the two banks.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration (with its seat in London) seeking specific performance of a contract for the disposal of a Polish telecom company for US$140 million. Advising client on enforcement of the arbitral award and successful negotiation of payment of full amount due under the award.
- Advising an international high-technology group on a claim brought by a former French agent under the English Commercial Agents Regulations, which resulted in an ICC arbitration. Advising on tactics generally and representing the client at a mediation in Paris, which resulted in a favourable settlement of the dispute.
- English (native)
- French (reasonably proficient)