- LL.M., London School of Economics, University of London (1991)
- LL.B. (Honours), University of Western Australia (1987)
- B. Juris. (Honours), University of Western Australia (1986)
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (2013)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (1991)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Western Australia (1988) and the Federal and High Court of Australia (1989)
- Member of Arbitration Chambers (January 2023 – present)
- Global Co-Head of the International Litigation and Arbitration Group, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP (2003 – 2022)
- Head of International Arbitration, Simmons & Simmons (1991 – 2003)
Ms Nairn KC is appointed as arbitrator in complex international disputes in cases conducted under the auspices of leading international arbitral institutions, including the LCIA and the ICC.
Her experience as arbitrator is varied and includes appointments in matters such as:
- an ICC arbitration involving a dispute arising out of the acquisition of a pharmaceuticals business (Singapore seat);
- acting as an arbitrator in an UNCITRAL matter involving a mining concession (London seat); and
- acting as an arbitrator in a gas pricing arbitration (London seat).
Ms Nairn KC also has deep experience in investment treaty matters, including acting as lead counsel in the following cases which are in the public domain:
- Representing NextEra Energy Global Holdings BV and NextEra Energy Spain Holdings BV in the successful prosecution of ICSID claims under the Energy Charter Treaty arising out of changes to Spanish law in the renewable energy sector;
- Representing the Republic of South Sudan in ICSID proceedings brought by Sudapet Co. Ltd., concerning the disputed ownership of significant oil field interests;
- Representing the successful Claimants in parallel arbitrations brought under the Energy Charter Treaty and a BIT against the Republic of Georgia in relation to a concession for an exclusive oil transportation network across Georgia.
Ms Nairn KC is ranked in the top tier of “leading individuals” for international arbitration in Chambers UK. The Legal 500 named her to its U.K. Hall of Fame and has described her as being “in a league of her own.” Ms. Nairn was named one of the “50 Most Influential Women in Law” by Legal Business magazine and was highly ranked in the Chambers 100 list of the top 100 lawyers in the U.K.
- Joint Editor of Arbitration World, Jurisdictional Comparisons, 4th, 5th and 6th Editions, published by Thomson Reuters 2012, 2015 and 2019).
- Ms Nairn has lectured widely on arbitration for the past 30 years including as guest lecturer for Masters programmes with Queen Mary College, the McGeorge School of Law and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- The British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- The International Bar Association
- Court Member (Vice President), The London Court of International Arbitration
- The American Arbitration Association
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Editorial Board, Arbitration International
- Chair, Development Board, JUSTICE
- Member, Advisory Council, SIAC
- Trustee, Dance Heginbotham, New York
- Trustee, InterMediate (Conflict resolution)