- PhD, Public International Law, Uppsala University, Sweden – 2019
- ICC Institute Program for Tribunal Secretaries – 2017
- The Hague Academy of International Law, Certificate in Private International Law – 2014
- LLM, Lund University, Sweden (primary law degree) – 2013
- Program in International and Comparative Business Law, Bucerius Law School, Hamburg – 2011
- Managing Associate, Arbitration Chambers – London and New York (2020 – present)
- Doctoral Candidate, Lecturer (public and private international law, international commercial arbitration) Uppsala University – Sweden (2013 – 2019)
- Contributor and Associate Editor, Investment Arbitration Reporter (2014 – 2019)
- Associate Counsel, Arbitration Institute at the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, Stockholm (2013-2014)
- Law Clerk, Södertörn District Court, Stockholm (2013)
Experience in Practice
Dr. Joel Dahlquist has acted as tribunal secretary in a number of large international arbitrations, including the following:
Tribunal Secretary / Assistant
- Assistant to the Tribunal in Rasia FZE, Joseph K. Borkowski v. The Republic of Armenia (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/28), an ICSID dispute involving a railway and highway construction project
- Assistant to the President of the Tribunal in Gran Colombia Gold v. Colombia (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/23), an ICSID dispute involving a mining concession
- Administrative Secretary to the President of the Tribunal in Komaksavia Airport Invest Ltd. v. Republic of Moldova, an investment arbitration under the SCC Rules involving a concession to operate an international airport
- Assistant to the Tribunal in Daniel W. Kappes and Kappes, Cassidy & Associates v. Republic of Guatemala (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/43), a dispute under the DR-CAFTA involving the mining sector.
- Administrative Secretary to the Tribunal in Bedri Selmani v. The Republic of Kosovo, an investment dispute proceeding under the ICC Rules
- Administrative Secretary to the Tribunal in an investor-State dispute under the UNCITRAL Rules, arising out of certain investment agreements in the mining sector
- Assistant to the President of the Tribunal in EBL (Genossenschaft Elektra Baselland) and Tubo Sol PE2 S.L. v. Kingdom of Spain (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/42), an ICSID dispute involving renewable energy generation
- Assistant to the Tribunal in an ICSID dispute involving media sector investments, Cascade Investments NV v. Republic of Turkey, ICSID Case No. ARB/18/4
- Administrative Secretary to the Tribunal in Etrak Insaat ve Ticaret Anonim Sirketi v. The State of Libya, an investment treaty dispute under the ICC Rules
- Tribunal Secretary in an ICC case involving a pharmaceutical license agreement in China
- Administrative Secretary to the Tribunal in a case under the ICC Rules involving a contract in the aviation sector in the United States
- Assistant to the Sole Arbitrator in an UNCITRAL Rules case involving a distribution and marketing agreement for Australia and New Zealand
- Assistant to the President of the Tribunal in an UNCITRAL Rules case involving a services agreement with an international organization
Research, Publications & Lectures
- The Use of Commercial Arbitration Rules in Investment Disputes, (forthcoming), monograph, Brill, 2020.
- Arbitral Tribunal Jurisdiction, Book Chapter in International Arbitration in Sweden. A Practitioner's Guide (forthcoming), Kluwer, 2020.
- Research and editorial assistance on the two leading English-language treatises on international arbitration in Sweden: Kaj Hobér, International Commercial Arbitration in Sweden, (OUP, 2nd ed., 2020) and Finn Madsen, Commercial Arbitration in Sweden, (Jure, 5th ed., 2020).
- A Paradoxical Engagement - International Investment Law and Arbitration Before Domestic Courts (with Andreas Kulick) in Engagement of Domestic Courts with International Law, (forthcoming) OUP, 2020.
- The Role of the Swedish Supreme Court in International Arbitration, b-Arbitra (Belgian Review of Arbitration), 2019.
- Challenges of Treaty-Based Arbitral Awards in Swedish Courts, Book Chapter in Forward! Bперёд! Framåt! - Essays in Honour of Prof Dr Kaj Hobér (2019).
- Unofficial English translation of the 2019 Swedish Arbitration Act (made available by the SCC, widely in use in international arbitration).
- Investment Treaty Arbitration – Problems and Exercises, (with Kaj Hobér), Edward Elgar, 2018.
- A (Counter) Balancing Act: The Express Power to Order a Security on a Stay of Enforcement Pending Annulment (with Brian Kotick), ICSID Review - Foreign Investment Law Journal (OUP), 2017.
- Arbitrating for Peace: How Arbitration Made a Difference (editor), Kluwer Law International, 2017.
- Investment Arbitration at the ICC (with Andrea Carlevaris), 2017 ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin – Issue 1.
- TSIKInvest v. Moldova – The First Known Investment Treaty Emergency Arbitration, The Journal of World Investment and Trade (Brill), Vol. 17, Issue 2.
- Beside the Point – On Obiter Dicta in Investment Treaty Arbitration, Arbitr Int (2016) 32 (4): 629-640.
Professional Activities and Qualifications
- Advisor, Swedish National Board of Trade and Ministry for Foreign Affairs (2014-2019)
- Visiting Scholar, Lauterpacht Centre of International Law, Cambridge (2018)
- Institute of International Economic Law Fellow, Georgetown Law (2014-2015)