- Master of Laws, University of Copenhagen
- Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme
Contract law, i.e. the formation, construction/interpretation, adaption, performance, termination and breach of contract, including the principles for calculation and determination of damages, with a wide application with regard to industries and sectors and in both a common law and a civil law context.
- England and Wales
- Member of Arbitration Chambers (2017 – present)
- Member of Copenhagen Chambers (2015 – 2017)
- Partner of Horten (2011 – 2014)
- Partner of Nordia Law Firm (1998 – 2010)
- Independent practitioner (1996 – 1997)
- Associate with different law firms (1985 – 1995)
Having a background as a transaction (M&A), corporate & commercial lawyer, including substantial experience in drafting a variety of international commercial contracts, Mr Schiersing is often involved as arbitrator in disputes related to international commercial contracts in the areas of not least post-M&A, energy and offshore, construction and infrastructure, technology, distribution and agency, reinsurance and insurance as well as other long term contracts, maritime contracts and international sales contracts.
He is listed in Who’s Who Legal 2019 (England) in two categories: Arbitration and Insurance & Reinsurance. Only 10 practitioners in England are listed in both those two categories.
Mr Schiersing has served/is currently serving as arbitrator, often presiding arbitrator/chairman, as well as emergency arbitrator appointed by e.g. the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the DIFC-LCIA Arbitration Centre (DIFC-LCIA), the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), the Arbitration Foundation of Southern Africa (AFSA), the Finland Arbitration Institute (FAI) and the Danish Institute of Arbitration (DIA). Also, he is sitting arbitrator in various ad hoc arbitrations, including under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, and he is one of the leading Scandinavian authorities on the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. He furthermore has experience in acting as umpire or as arbitrator in arbitral tribunals with an umpire structure.
In investment disputes, Mr Schiersing has served as arbitrator appointed by the host state and counsel to host states and investors.
He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in London (FCIArb) and a Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb). Also, Mr Schiersing is a Supporting Member of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA). He is on several panels of arbitrators.
Mr Schiersing has been instructed or appointed as arbitrator in matters involving the laws of e.g. Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, England & Wales, United States (New York and Delaware), Singapore, China (PRC), Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, The Netherlands, The Russian Federation, South Africa, Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria and Cyprus.
Who’s Who Legal (Arbitration 2019) states: Niels Schiersing is a stand-out name in global dispute resolution who is widely endorsed as "an excellent arbitrator". He excels in complex contractual matters in commercial and investment arbitrations.
Niels Schiersing serves as arbitrator and legal expert in domestic and international commercial arbitrations, construction and infrastructure arbitrations, energy arbitrations, commercial chancery arbitrations as well as investment arbitrations. He also sits on panels in mock-trials related to complex litigation matters and is the pre- eminent Scandinavian expert in all matters relating to such proceedings. Mr Schiersing further accepts select appointments as mediator in commercial disputes where his command of international legal principles and understanding of different legal cultures can be of service to the parties.
FCIArb, Chartered Arbitrator (C.Arb)
LMAA, Supporting Member
Member of several panels of arbitrators in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East
Niels Schiersing also undertakes scholarly work. In 2013, he published the first and only book in Scandinavia on legal issues relating to reinsurance and he is one of the leading Scandinavian authorities within this area of law. In 2016, he published the first and only commentary on the Danish Arbitration Act of 2005 (which in turn is based on the UNCITRAL Model Law of 1985). The commentary contains a comprehensive analysis of the sections of the act and refers extensively to not least Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and English case law and serves as a Scandinavian commentary on the model law. He is one of the leading authorities on comparative Scandinavian arbitration law. Furthermore, Mr Schiersing has published a substantial number of articles on arbitration law, insurance & reinsurance law, energy law, international construction law, general contract law, investment protection and tax law.
Mr Schiersing is currently preparing the first volume of a larger treatise on substantial and procedural issues relating to post-M&A disputes.
Mr Schiersing is a former lecturer at the University of Copenhagen on several legal subjects and regularly speaks on topics within his areas of competence.
- The Danish Arbitration Act – A Commentary (2016)
- Reinsurance – Selected Legal Topics (2013)
- On State Aid and Arbitration Agreements (2020 – upcoming)
- On the Construction of Offshore Windfarms – Legal Issues (2020 – upcoming)
- On Presiding Arbitrator, Umpire and Referee – What’s in a Name (2018)
- On Construction Contracts under English law, part 1 (2016)
- On the IBA Guidelines on Conflicts of Interest in Recent Court Decisions (2016)
- On Mock-Trials (2015)
- On Arbitration in England (2015)
- On Price and Volume Risk in Long Term Energy Contracts (2014)
- On Reinsurance and the Pro-Rata Rule (2013)
- On "Validity" and "Existence" of an Arbitration Agreement (2011)
- On the Advance of Cost in Arbitration (2011)
- On "Full" Versus "Reasonable" Possibility to Present your Case in Arbitration (2011)
- On Interim Measures in Arbitration – Time for Revising the Rules (2010)
- On the Concept of "Investment" in the Danish Bilateral Investment Treaties (2010)
- On the Legal Protection of Investments in Foreign Countries (2009)
- Advokat (Denmark)
- Solicitor (England & Wales)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and Chartered Arbitrator
- French (reading and oral)
- Basic Russian
- Basic Turkish